Sunday, August 2, 2015

It's A Girl!! According to Some Old Wives, Anyway

I had to get an extra ultrasound because there was concern that baby wasn't growing properly. According to the ultrasound, baby's measurements are just fine. I did ALMOST cave and ask about the gender...ALMOST. I was very excited to have a picture of Baby so close to our due date, but alas, Baby wasn't having it and had his/her arm up over the face. So here is a terrible, blobby picture. 



I love to hear peoples' predictions about whether Baby is a boy or girl. So I decided to put a list together of "Old Wives' Tests" and see what was predicted. I narrowed it down to 21, because some of the tests were...um...subjects I would only discuss with my husband or doctor...and some were gross (ok, ok, I may have considered peeing on some cabbage just because it made me laugh, but that would have required me to go to the store and get cabbage).

The first option is girl (red), the second is boy (blue), and the answer is turned to that color.



1. Chinese Gender Calendar     GIRL or BOY

2. Cravings                              SWEET or SALTY
Baby really likes pop tarts and ice-cream. Or at least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

3. Baby's Heartbeat                   HIGH or LOW
Baby's heartbeat has been in the middle of the range every single time. Baby is just going to keep us guessing.

4. Daddy's Weight              GAINING or MAINTAINING
Although he has been "sympathy eating", since I've had all kinds of extra food around.

5. Morning Sickness                    YES or NO
Yep, but for the record, I had morning sickness with Little Man too.

6. Skin                                         SOFT or DRY
My skin is pretty much the best when I'm pregnant. Incentive to have more kids, right?

7. Headaches                                  NO or YES
This one was new to me. I had a period of horrible pregnancy migraines - didn't know that was a thing til this pregnancy - but luckily they subsided in the usual amount of time, but yikes was that not fun. The only thing that touched them was tylenol + caffeine, so The Hubs learned to make white chocolate mochas for me.

8. Nose getting wider or bigger    NO or YES

9.  Sleep with your pillow to the North NO or YES 
I had to think way to hard about this.

10. Sleeping side                      RIGHT or LEFT
I have slept equally on both sides. So maybe I'm having a puppy.

11. Feet colder than usual STAYS THE SAME or YES
Actually, I feel like my feet have been hotter, so make of that what you will.

12. Dry hands                                 NO or YES

13. Acne                                         YES or NO

14. Mayan Tale: Mothers age at conception + year of conception  
                                                     EVEN or ODD

15. If your legs stay in shape        YES or NO
I mean, my legs are still the shape of legs...just a bit larger and not toned. I just call the extra "chunk" "baby food"

16. If you eat the ends of bread     NO or YES

17. Dreaming of gender?            GIRL or BOY
The only dreams I've had where Baby had a gender, it was a boy.

18. Cravings                              FRUIT or PROTEIN
I almost deemed this question inconclusive because I could eat fruit and protein my whole pregnancy, but since I could put down two flats of strawberries a week early in my pregnancy, I went with fruit. However, I did the same with Little Man.

19. Belly                    WATERMELON  or BASKETBALL
The Hubs says watermelon.

20.                                      GRACEFUL or CLUMSY
Um, I don't know that I'm ever graceful. And is there a pregnant woman who isn't a bit clumsy? Never mind, if so, don't tell me.

21. If you can only think of girl names then you're having a girl or vice versa. 
                                                      GIRL  or BOY
We have name choices for both boy and girl, and some days I like them, and some days I'm like "I don't like any of our name choices". We're still discussing names, and open to suggestions.


BONUS: It should be noted, that two weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant, Little Man came up to me and said "I want a little brother", to which I stared open-mouthed because we had never discussed that with him. And throughout the pregnancy, if you asked him if he wanted a little brother or little sister, 95% of the time he replied "little brother". I'm very interested to see if he is correct. Also, The Hubs and I are both think it's a boy. Also, I was correct with Little Man's gender.  But, enough talking...


AND THE RESULTS ARE???

GIRL = 11      BOY = 7   Inconclusive = 3


Old Wives Predict = GIRL

Leave your predictions in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy: This was hilarious. Congrats on kiddo #2!
    Keri in Seattle

    ReplyDelete