Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Don't Eat The Baby -

- otherwise known as my first Mardi Gras party.


from Google images


I never say no to free food.  So when I was invited to a party that was all about food, and it was all free, I was in.  

The Mardi Gras party was just off campus at the Catholic student center.  I had heard of Mardi Gras in passing growing up, and assumed the celebration had to do with Bourbon Street in Louisiana.  So basically, I was pretty much oblivious to the religious affiliation, practices and customs connected to this day.  

The food was awesome, the atmosphere lively, and the company was warm and welcoming.  As the crowd dwindled, I sat down next to my boyfriend, who was chatting up the hostess of the event, to enjoy my piece of brightly colored cake.  

I stuck my fork into the cake to retrieve my next bite.  

And I saw it.  

The tiny baby doll protruding from the delectable dessert on my plate.  

My introvert brain was imploding trying to navigate the awkward social conundrum in which I had found myself.  Why is this here?  Is that supposed to be here? What if I had swallowed part of that? Did someone lose their baby doll decoration? Is this sanitary? My face is burning red. What do I do? 

I covertly slipped the doll into my napkin and held it under the table.  My opportune moment came when the hostess was distracted from the conversation by one of the kitchen volunteers. I poked my boyfriend to get his attention.  Still holding the doll at waist height under the table to obscure the view of anyone who might look over, I whispered, "Look what I found in my cake."  

My boyfriend looked at my flustered face and then down at the napkin wrapped baby doll in my outstretched cupped hands, and to my utter dismay - 



reenactment




- burst out laughing!!

Come to find out, I was eating a piece of King's cake.  Once he was done having a good laugh at my expense, he explained to me the tradition of the King's cake: The person who receives the slice of cake with the baby is asked to continue the festivities by hosting the next King Cake party, but not to worry because I would not be expected to host the next party.  

All I could think was they really should warn people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment