Thursday, February 6, 2014

Our Snow Day 2014 ~ PHFR

(You know the drill - poorly lit, slightly out of focus pics are mine from the phone, and the good ones are from the camera... likely taken by The Hubs).



Last week, I did a great job of putting off the grocery shopping, and after telling The Hubs that it was likely going to be a take-out kind of evening, I decided to take a nap instead of put a grocery list together.  I woke up to my phone ringing with The Hubs telling me we should probably get to the grocery store ASAP because we had snow coming.  And we all know what it is like down here in the South when we're told snow is coming.


From Google Images


From Google Images


So I high-tailed it to the grocery store in time to grab five of the remaining ten bananas left on the shelf (they did restock as I was leaving the store) and then went home to enjoy my snug house after discussing with The Hubs what the plan was should we lose electricity.  My husband has mad skills...that he rarely uses...but they make me feel safe.  :)


{Pretty}

I love snow.  No, like I L-O-V-E snow!  I have fond memories of my dad building couches and igloos  out of snow (my family isn't originally from Georgia in case you didn't already guess), hot beverages, and sledding down the hill in my back yard to see if we could hit the fence (I was never big enough to go that far).  I've kept my snow suit (that I recently found in a certain sister's closet...eckhem) for the one snow we get every other year because it's worth it!


I just think snow is beautiful and peaceful and it makes me feel all happy inside.



Listen to the peacefulness.





{Real}

But of course, I love snow like most people do...conditionally.  I love snow as long as it's not causing me any hassles and I'm all warm and snug in my house and it stays outside of my snow suit.


Before

After - less than an hour later

Unfortunately, it caused a lot of other people a lot of trouble.  We found out that one of The Hubs' clients spent 23 hours in the car before abandoning the car on the side of the freeway.  I'm sure you've read all about the mess in the news.

Before

It took The Hubs extra time to get home from work...because he stopped at the store on the way.  Needless to say, snow and I are very good terms this year.  So I prayed for all the people having trouble and I relished the snow day with my family.


After - less than an hour later



{Happy}

It was Little Man's first snow!  We broke out the Southern Sleds (i.e. laundry baskets, cookie sheet, and TV box.  We've really gotten our money's worth out of that TV box...that was a gift...so the box was free, and it has been loved and used in so many ways.  Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!)




I tried all three sleds, the TV box won out hands down.  I'm sure watching me try to sled on the tiny cookie sheet and sled crammed into the laundry basket was a comical sight.



Do not be fooled by that momentary smile


I was very happy to be out in the snow with my family and to introduce Little Man to the snow.  He, however, was not thrilled with all of it.  He was not happy about sledding down the hill by himself in the laundry basket.

Less than thrilled


{Funny}

However, he loved sledding with Mommy or Daddy so I didn't feel like snow day was a total failure for him :)




He also loved watching us sled down the hill.  He just giggled and giggled.


Our little snow bunny

Sorry for the lack of pics of The Hubs, here's a video to make up for it.  Snow day 2014 was a huge success for our family.  





Now go check out the other Pretty-Happy-Funny-Real posts at Like Mother, Like Daughter.

round button chicken

2 comments:

  1. What great photos of the little guy sledding! But those shelves -- wow. That is stark! Even when the power had been out for a week here the shelves still had some things on them!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture of the shelves is from Google images (I've now edited the post to say that; I meant to put the source the first time), but I have friends that have posted pictures on Facebook in the last couple weeks that looked exactly like that. When I went to the store, the meat shelf was almost completely empty.

      The little guy has had great fun sledding and he is very photogenic :)

      Delete